- Emergency Telecommunications
- APCO Public Safety Telecommunicator - MARCH 2021
APCO Public Safety Telecommunicator - MARCH 2021
This 6-week asynchronous course runs March 1st - April 9th, 2021.
The leading telecommunicator training program has been revised to address Canadian emergency services communications terminology and to introduce provincial and federal legislative requirements impacting public safety communications across Canada.
The PST1, 7th Edition, course may be used for new-hire training and existing employee in-service training. All students successfully passing the final exam receive certification demonstrating completion of a training course that meets and exceeds industry accepted national basic training standards.
Instructional media and exercises used throughout the course reinforce the knowledge attained in lecture and demonstration. If taught by your own APCO Institute certified instructors, it becomes an economical way to train new hires at your time and pace. Tuition includes comprehensive course manual.
- Introduction to Your New Career (roles and responsibilities of the position)
- Interpersonal Communications
- Telephone Communications Techniques: Call Processing
- Telephony: Traditional Technology
- Telephony: Emerging Technology
- Telephony: TTY
- Computer-Aided Dispatch & Related Technologies
- Radio Communications Techniques
- Radio Technology
- Call Classification
- The Incident Command System
- Liability Issues
- Preparing for Your New Career (stress management)
- 9-1-1 Disaster Preparedness in the PSAP
- Telecommunicator Emergency Response Taskforces (TERT)
- Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement Programs
- Guidecards, the Design and Use in the PSAP
- NextGen and other Emerging Technologies (Module Five – all new!)
- Record Management Systems
- Managing Specialty/High-Risk Calls
- The Need for Continuing Education and Professional Development
APCO Certified Public Safety Telecommunicators must provide proof every two years of 48 hours (24 hours per certification year) of Continuing Dispatch Education (CDE).
APCO Textbook - $183.00
APCO Exam Fee - $98.00
Shield Course Cost - $318.00
Total Course Cost $599 +taxes
*Students MUST achieve a score of 80% or higher on the final exam to successfully achieve the certification.
*Students MUST complete all course work to successfully achieve certification.
*Course registration will close 4 weeks before the course starts to allow for book delivery, etc.