- Mental Health Courses
- Mental Health First Aid - May 3rd, 2023
Mental Health First Aid - May 3rd, 2023
VIRTUAL DELIVERY - May 3rd, 2023, 8:30 - 4:00
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the support provided to a person who may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis.
Course participants will learn how to recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis and encourage that person to:
- Talk about declines in their mental well-being
- Discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being
- Reach out to these supports
- Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis
- Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being
Successful participants will achieve a Mental Health First Aid certificate from the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
Module 1: Self-Directed
- Introduction to the course
- Introduction to MHFA actions
Module 2: Virtual Classroom
- Practice applying MHFA actions to situations of declining mental well-being
- Guidelines for MHFA conversations with people from diverse cultures and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community
Module 3 Virtual Classroom
- Discussion on using MHFA actions for self-care
- Practice using MHFA actions in crisis situations
METHOD OF INSTRUCTION
This 9-hour course opens with a self-directed module (Module 1) that focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the virtual classroom modules (Modules 2 and 3). Course participants are required to complete Module 1 before participating in Module 2 and 3.
Upon registration, participants will receive the “MHFA Participant Reference Guide” that outlines MHFA actions for developing mental health and substance use problems, and mental health and substance use crises.
This course has a strict registration policy and may only run with 8-15 participants, as per Mental Health Commission of Canada policy. This course is designed by the Mental Health Commission of Canada and delivered by a certified MHFA Instructor.
Please note: Clients may receive a full refund up to the 14th day prior to the course start date. Beyond that date, no refunds are eligible as students will be registered in their respective courses with our partner agencies and we will incur costs on their behalf. Transfers may be available if students have not been issued access codes yet. Once issued, access codes cannot be refunded and are non-transferable, as per the Mental Health Commission of Canada.